I hear this a lot – Why Does Height Matter So Much to Girls? Do girls really only like tall guys? There is science behind why women tend to prefer a man who is taller than her. If you step back and look at humans as a species – we are hard wired to survive. Our species is so hard wired for survival we just reached the 7 billion mark in world population. Ok, ok… what does this have to do with girls liking tall guys?
Survival of the species is rooted in procreation and survival. We are hard wired to procreate and to survive. If you look back to the origins of humans there were things that made survival more likely (for an image think Caveman and Cavewoman).
For women having a man who was bigger and stronger meant a better chance of him protecting her and any offspring from danger. In the second millennium this does not make as much sense but its hard wired in our genetic code – survive at all cost.
Statistics As to Why Does Height Matters To Girls?
Did you know that:
- 95% of women prefer a man who is taller than they are
- 3% prefer a man who is their height
- 2% prefer a man who is shorter
No, I don’t like this data but it comes from a study performed in 1989 by Shepperd and Stratham – look for upcoming Opinion Zone polls to see what’s real in 2012. The most common response I hear from women about a man and his height is that “he needs to be at least 6 feet tall.” Why? If the average man is 5’10” – then 6’ is taller than most men – meaning bigger and stronger and a safer partner for protection of survival of the species.
If you ask a woman why she prefers taller guys, she’ll often answer that she feels more feminine around a taller guy (a woman feeling feminine is a good thing guys). If you’re swearing by now, I’m sorry, I wish the facts were different but there is something we can do about it.
So You’re Not 6’ Tall, Then What?
Here are some options you may want to consider…
- Pursue women who are at least 4” shorter than you are (easy to do since the average man is 5’10” but the average woman is 5’4”). Studies show that women become physically attracted when a man is 4” taller than her. Your chances for winning go up go up significantly if you follow this guideline. I’ve tested this with some college women and they confirmed that even though they thought they only liked men over 6’ tall…they could be attracted to men only 4” taller.
- Pursue the women you are attracted to regardless of height realizing that if they are very close to your height or taller than your chances may only be 1 in 20 that they will be open to your affections.
Dating Tip: I had a good friend suggest that you take the girl out just as friends. In fun, arm wrestle her. This is done with a playful attitude, but she will realize your strength which will increase your chances of getting a yes when asking her out. See: Winning Her Affections – What Sets You Apart for more tips on increasing your chances.
Tell us what happens. We want to see you win. Please send us your stories to the Victory Zone. Questions? Send them our way to the Drop Zone. We will be more than happy to answer them and share them with others. All submissions are confidential.
Related Articles about Dating:
- Winning Her Affections – Getting the First Date
- What You’re Buying When You Pay for the Date
- Hanging With the Girls? How to Increase Your Chances of Getting a Date
- How to Start a Conversation With a Girl
- Getting Out of the Friend Zone
Attractiveness and Height: The Role of Stature in Dating Preference, Frequency of Dating, and Perceptions of Attractiveness by James A. Shepperd and Alan J. Stratham. Pers Soc Psychol Bull 1989; 15; 61
Photo Source: © Andriy Petrenko | Dreamstime
Copyright of content written on TheCoedZone.com is rightfully owned by TheCoedZone.com. Copyright Infringement is “Identity Theft,” unlawful in any jurisdiction. Please don’t spin, scrub, scrape or copy our content and we will give you the same online respect.